The Survival, Sci-Fi MMO Population Zero is expected to launch on Steam Early Access starting May 5. Players will not only be challenged to survive the wilderness, but time itself will become an enemy.
Unlike many other survival style MMOs, Population Zero will have a clear goal in mind, and players will need to reach that goal within 168 hours (7 days). This is how Population Zero will play out:
- The very first cycle starts in a special instanced Drop Zone, a single-player Tutorial
- Game cycles last 168 hours, or 7 consecutive days – a light day on Kepler
- You have more than enough time to complete the main objective, explore the planet, engage themselves with building, resource gathering and crafting, battle mobs or other players
- Each cycle rewards players with account experience necessary to unlock new modes, mechanics and further enhance the gameplay
- Win or lose – you still get rewards and experience according to your progress during a session
- When joining a new session players will be matched according to their current account level
In addition to having defined goals and rewards, the time constraint in Population Zero will allow for detailed stories that combine narrative and survival mechanics, prevent specific groups from taking over servers, allow developers to experiment and create exciting new mechanics, and allow players to gradually unlock new mechanics and achievements.
To survive, players must repair the power generations on Artemis by completing a series of goals. There are 4 ways a game will end:
- Complete the main objective and survive
- Fail to make it in time and lose
- Get turned into an alien monster and die: frequent respawns increase colonists’ mutation level which will eventually lead to a complete character transformation – the very first death in the form of an alien creature ends the session
- Deliberately end the session
For those interested in keeping tabs on Population Zero, it can now be added to your Steam wishlist.
Source: Enplex Blog